Last week I had to install SSRS 2008 R2 on a machine which already has SSRS 2008. I installed the R2 as a named instance pointing to the SQL 2008 DB and choose the option “Install but do not configure”.
Then I configured the R2 to use the existing DB (i.e. that of SSRS 2008). The report server configuration wizard did not give any error.
After configuring, when I tried to access the Report Server thru browser I got the following error from both the instances.
SSRS 2008 thrown an error like “The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is ’147′. The expected version is ‘C.0.9.45′. (rsInvalidReportServerDatabase)“
whereas SSRS 2008 R2 thrown an error “The report server installation is not initialized. (rsReportServerNotActivated)“
Some forums suggested that this is because report server configuration is not proper. I opened up the report server configuration and checked the DB connections for both instances. Everything looked fine but the error persisted.
I understood that I screwed my SSRS by pointing two instances , which are of different versions, to a DB. So using report configuration wizard, I created two set of databases and assigned them to respective SSRS instances. Now both of them works fine.
Only issue is that I could not retrieve the RDLs from old report server DB. Anyway, it is my DEV instances and I have the code base :).