In my DEV machine, I have SQL Server 2008 SP1 with all the components (DB, SSIS, AS , & RS). Last week I had to install SSRS 2008 R2 on the same machine. I installed it as a named instance. The installation went fine.
But after SSRS R2 was installed, I started to get the following error message whenever I use my SQL 2008 SSMS to connect to the DB.
On clicking “OK”, it pop ups another error window
On clicking the “Continue”, I was able to create a new query window and access the DBs. But whenever I click on the object explorer to see the objects, it throws the above error message.
To resolve it, I un-installed the SSRS 2008 R2 but of no use. Then I un-installed all the components of SQL (DB, SSIS, RS & AS) and did a fresh installation of SQL 2008 and applied SP1. Still the issue persisted. Since I was bit busy with my work throughout the week, I could not work on this.
Today, by chance , came across the below KB which talks about similar issue and the only resolution, as per the article, is to install R2 SSMS.
So I un-installed the SQL 2008 SSMS and installed SQL 2008 R2 SSMS. Now I am able to access the SQL 2008 DBs without any issues.